Tech Editing (Knitting and Crochet)
A well-written knitting pattern is a joy to use. You want your instructions to be understood by beginners as well as seasoned crafters, and you want them to come back to your patterns again and again.
When you're writing a pattern, it's very tricky to put yourself in the maker's shoes. It's easy to miss potential ambiguities or confusing instructions. I know from experience that having fresh eyes check your pattern is an absolute must. I never tech edit my own patterns!
My standard tech editing service includes:
proofreading the text of your pattern to make sure:
- spelling and grammar are spot on
- your terminology is clear and consistent
- instructions are not confusing or ambiguous
- formatting is consistent and logical
a line by line check of the pattern to make sure:
- stitch counts are accurate
- size grading is correct
- gauge calculations match garment measurements
a full check of terminology to make sure:
- glossary is complete and consistently used
- needle/hook and yarn information is clear and consistent
I can also make your pattern-writing life easier in other ways:
- Creating schematics - schematics that include the measurements of your garment look professional and help give visual clues to knitters.
- Creating charts - I can create charts from written instructions and vice versa. I love a good chart!
- Grading across multiple sizes - I can grade your garment from infant up to 6X sizes using measurements you provide or standard industry measurements.
- Pattern layout - If you're not sure how to lay out your pattern, I can help you create a PDF document that incorporates your branding and is easy for people to use.
I have experience working on a wide variety of patterns, including garments and accessories with features such as lacework, brioche and cables.
Get in touch to chat to me about tech editing by phone, email or using the enquiry form.