Proofreading & Copyediting
You have your text, and you know what you want to communicate. Perhaps you are almost ready to publish, but need a thorough check of your work for typos, inconsistencies or grammatical errors? If so, proofreading is the service for you.
If your text needs more in-depth preparation for publishing, my copyediting/proofediting services could be what you are looking for.
My proofreading service includes a thorough review of the document, checking for:
- typographical errors (spelling, punctuation, etc.)
- grammatical errors
- consistency of style (e.g. ise/ize, abbreviations, date, time)
- consistency of formatting (fonts, headings, spacing, indents, alignment etc.)
- correct placement of pictures, diagrams, graphs, etc.
- appropriate captioning of pictures, diagrams, graphs, etc.
- accuracy of page references and footnotes
Proofreading doesn't include rephrasing or rewriting the text.
Copyediting takes the raw text and prepares it for publication, and is done before the proofreading stage. My copyediting service includes:
- checking grammar, spelling and formatting
- removing unnecessary repetitions
- making sure the text is clear and unambiguous, rephrasing for sense where necessary
- checking that facts are accurate
- making sure the structure of the document is logical and consistent (headings, subheadings, diagrams, pictures etc.)
- cross-referencing and formatting footnotes, page references, citations, bibliography, etc.
If you need the work to be substantially rephrased, or even rewritten for a specific audience, I'd be happy to talk more about what you need and how best I can help you get your text ready for publication.
I also offer a proofediting service, which is a combination of proofreading and copyediting. If you're not sure which service you need, I'm happy to advise you. Please do get in touch for a chat about your project either by phone or via the enquiry form.